Thursday, February 13, 2020

Inaccessibility in 2019. πŸ‘Ž

March 01, 2019

So this is the post I spoke about in my last post about Kolkata - Inaccessibility in 2019.
As I said before, we went to meet my long time friend Sita from the US who had come down to Kolkata only to meet us! She was staying in a hotel near to the airport and had suggested we do the same to save on time travelling from one end of the city to another. I was more than happy to oblige. Only, we did not get the same hotel as it was fully booked. But on reaching the area, we found that the hotel we had booked was exactly opposite theirs! It was great.
(Image courtesy - Google)

So when we reached our hotel, a grand flight of stairs greeted us at first, but wait, there was hope. A little further down the parking was a small ramp to go from the road to the pavement in front of the hotel. And then another longer one to go from the pavement to the hotel. Yay!! But wait, a car was parked right in front of the small ramp to the pavement πŸ˜‘πŸ˜‘πŸ˜‘
Of course I took a pic! 😬😈


Poor papa had to go even further down and then find a place from where Vin's wheelchair could go up easily. So here the hotel had made all accessible arrangements, but the general public is uneducated where accessibility is concerned.

Vineet's wheelchair was helped up the ramp to the hotel by the guard and another staff, which was very nice , and we checked in. A lift (which was not too big for 3 persons including a wheelchair ) ,took Vineet and papa up to our room on the 4th floor. It was a nice room where there was space to maneuver Vineet's wheelchair.


(Images courtesy Google)


I had called up the "Floatel" restaurant on the banks of the Hoogly river for our dinner with Sita and family,as I had heard that there was a beautiful view of the river Ganges from the deck there.

I called up their reception to ask if they had a ramp or lift for wheelchairs to go upto the deck, to which they replied in affirmative. I also asked friends who had been there, they were not so sure. I asked on Google places, there too I got some saying yes, some no , with regard to wheelchair accessibility. But after the restaurant's confirmation, we decided to go ahead.

Sita and family were already in the restaurant when we reached (late, as always πŸ˜…) . And I was not prepared to encounter what I saw. At the very entrance, there was a flight of 2 steps, which papa is used to maneuvering by now, but not once did the man at the counter right across, come forward to help. πŸ˜ΆπŸ˜’




Anyways, moved ahead a corridor and came upfront to a small wooden ramp which led to nowhere,and then just beside it another wooden plank which finally led to the King of all ramps!!!


Never in my life have I seen a ramp as steep as the one I saw that day!! A voice inside me said, no , you can't allow Vineet's wheelchair to go on that . No. Then I thought about Sita and her family who were already seated down below, and also , a few staff came forward to help. With a very very scared heart, I watched papa bring Vineet down the ramp facing the opposite way, with the help of 3-4 staff. And stairs again at the bottom of the ramp πŸ˜¬πŸ˜’πŸ˜Ά

After that there was a small lift which took Vineet and papa to another corridor who's doors led to the restaurant. Phew!!
But all the stuff that was boiling inside me vanished as soon as I saw my dear Sita's face at the door!! I was finally hugging my dear friend of more than 10 years from another country !! It was an indescribable feeling.

We settled in and I took some time to relax and realize that just beside the restaurant a door led to a small deck outside. I asked Sita if we could go and sit there but was informed that it was crammed and a few tables were booked as well . Gone were the dreams of sitting on the deck and enjoying the view of the Ganges with my dear friend and her family.......πŸ˜žπŸ˜–
Nevertheless, we had an awesome time talking and having the buffet dinner. After which we proceeded back to our hotels and planned to meet for lunch at a nearby mall the next day.

#CityCentreMallKolkata

(Image courtesy - Google)


The next day, after having a great chit chat at the hotel where Sita and fam were put up, we proceeded towards a well known mall -  City Centre Salt Lake, Kolkata, for lunch.
Again. Embarrassment.
There was no ramp from the road to the pavement. 😬

Ok, that's normal to expect I guess..,πŸ˜’

We had to go to the 2nd floor, so we searched for the lifts. Got them.
Then again - A huge step leading to the lift section. A very narrow door , through which Vineet's and Esha's wheelchairs barely managed to scrape through.
  By now I was seriously thinking of putting in a complaint. Thankfully the lifts were big in size and could accommodate one family with a wheelchair at one go . And there were 2 lifts (only. For such a huge mall)


So we ended up roaming on the ground floor more and finally after a fast food lunch 😜, we sat for some awesome tea. I was having mixed feelings as we were leaving for home from there itself and the Kumars would be leaving the next day. I felt so sad and empty coz it was too short a visit for a good friend like Sita❣️



{As I was about to post this, I just remembered the short and steepest ramp ever at the Hotel where Sita and Fam were put up. It was a ramp just for name's sake. To lure people like Sita who have no idea what a ramp could also look like in some hotels but on their websites they mention it and thus fool a customer, especially if they are from a distant country....whats this???? πŸ˜¬πŸ˜–πŸ˜“   Not Done}

No comments:

Post a Comment