Sunday, April 21, 2013

VIN GOES TO SEE THE TAJ MAHAL !! (DAY 4)

We returned very late in the night from Fatehpur-Sikri to Delhi. Next morning we rested and left for Raj Ghat (the ashes of Mahatma Gandhi laid to rest here) and then to Red Fort. Raj Ghat was a Beautiful place and if time was not a constraint, we would have liked to sit there a while in the cool breeze and listen to the famous song-' Vaishnav jan toh...' being played all the while..


RAMP AT THE ENTRANCE TO RAJ GHAT


VIN, HIS GRANDMOTHER AND SISTER AT RAJ GHAT
Thereafter we went to the 'Red Fort' which was nearby and our van was let in right upto the Ticket counter because of Vin! :) There was a good amount of Security there and when we went in, there was a flea market there! As we went in further, we visited a 'Pre-independance' Museum as well as a museum with stuff from the Mughal Ages. It was quite an eye-opener for Vin and his sis. The grounds were very extended and by the time we covered most of it, our legs ached from all the walking. Ramps were built everywhere and needless to say, I was very pleased with Delhi after all this.


So that was the last day of our visits to historical places in and around Delhi. Even though I have not put up pics here, but I must mention that in Delhi there were ramps all around even in public places, all the bus-stands, and I even saw a wheelchair-lift for taking them down to the Metro-station. So I shall conclude here by voting for Delhi as the 'Most Accessible' city in India. And a Very Special Vote of Thanks to the 'Archaeological survey of India' for making Vin and so 'our' trip a very 'accessible' one!

Oh wait! I had said in the 1st part of this Trip series that I would mention about the New Delhi railway Station again. So while we were boarding our return train, we booked two coolies again and as we were alighting from the stairs on to our platform, what do I see? A mini golf-cart on the station with 2-3 aged people on it. I stopped, asked the driver how he came onto the platform and he answered - there are two ways ma'm. but why? ' And I showed him Vin coming down the stairs in his very tired dad's arms and said- these coolies made fools out of us. He said -Please take my number and if you ever come down again, please call me and please know that we are always at your service.' I smiled. So New Delhi lived up to my expectations- Most wheelchair-accessible City :)

2 comments: