Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Bed Sores and Pressure Sores

2 days back I checked Vin's back (as I always do- its become a habit now), and to my utter dismay found a small round bruise just below his SB site. For half a minute, all the memories associated with his previous sores came back. First I scolded him for not taking note of his back and then I thought why does it always happen in winter when the sore would take longer to heal due to layers of clothing . Then I told Vineet- We both can make it right, only you have to help me.ok? And he nodded his head in affirmation. Now I have to personally take charge of changing his diapers once in the morning before going to school and then again in the evening after lunch. But the very next day when I came home from work, I saw that it had increased in size.My daughter told me that he had acted naughty with her and the maid and had lied on it. I am at my wits' end. Now Vin has to turn around 6 times while wearing his pants- twice for the diaper and 4 times for the pants.Its going to be worse when winter sets in properly and he will have to wear warm inners along with his pants.

WHY DOES IT HAPPEN  
Well, Vin's backbone is curved right in the middle - his SB site. It is called SCOLIOSIS. So it is prone to scraping and bruising. The dry winter makes the thin skin over it easily breakable. The tumour did not have a skin in the begining at all. The Doctors took skin from elsewhere and and grafted onto it. I don't know if they could have done a better job or not, but its quite unsatisfactory for me.....



PREVIOUS HISTORY


Vin had his first back sore when he was in Prep school at the age of  4 (?). He had come back one day from school and there was this small round wound and at that point I didn't know what to do. We took him to the Doctor who prescribed an antibiotic cream and another one. It took a very long time to heal is all I remember. Then it happened again and this time we used a particular ointment that a Doc had prescribed to heal Vin's burnt feet (he had accidently gone on a bike ride without his shoes in our absence, and the exhaust cylinders had burnt his feet), and it worked just fine. Then happened the Third sore and it took our patience away - it stayed for a year and half!!! We tried every possible kind of treatment, but nothing would work! It healed only when we went to Vellore in 2007, and the Doc told us - Keep the wound moisturised with ointment or coconut oil and leave it open all the time. It was the month of June- July (rainy season with high humidity) and when we returned from CMC, Vellore, I followed the Doc's advice and BELIEVE IT OR NOT, the bedsore healed exactly within a month!!!!
So last year when he had a small one again, it healed after 2 months(I think), because of the winter clothing. And now this.......
 
 (I AM WAITING EAGERLY FOR VIN TO TURN 18 SO WE CAN HAVE HIS BACK SURGERY AND IT CAN TAKE CARE OF A LOT OF PROBLEMS......and then the Doc has also told us thats its going to be a MAJOR  RISKY Surgery and Vin will have to stay in bed for 6 months!!! :(((( Its certainly a big price to pay for.....for what?? 'HIGH ESTEEM' , as an SB gentleman, aged 40 or so said in an SB Group.....)
 
I would like to share this link with all SB-associated people. Have a look-
 
 
 
 
PRESSURE   SORE now I think that a pressure sore is different from a bed sore, or is it?? Well actually I want to talk here about this particular clot I noticed on Vin's soles in the right leg sometime last year. At first I thought that it was because of his new AFO's that we had just got for him. I thought that the cast had been defective. So I stopped putting them on. But it stayed on and at times it used to go very dark. Then I noticed that when I was putting him to sleep on his left side, the right leg's feet was tilted at an angle so that the heel's position stayed in the same position till he turned around later in the night. I wasn't sure about this being the reason , so I discussed with my brother who is a Doctor, and he said 'Try putting a pillow under his legs and see what happens. See if it improves..". I tried it, and within a week the clot had turned pale and I could see colour returning there :)))  I AM A HAPPY MOM NOW!!!
 
 


1 comment:

  1. 01.12.2012, An update- So Vin's sore has covered completely and has a very thin scab on it which will take some time to peel away. But as of now both Vineet and me are happy that its covered just before the Sports on Saturday- 8th December 2012

    ReplyDelete